October 8, 2009

The everlasting...

I cannot say that I’ve cared much about my once favorite band Manic Street Preachers the past decade, and though I stubbornly continued buying their albums, I never gave any release more than perhaps a few spins. This year’s release Journal for Plague Lovers I brutally ignored as I decided that it was time to store the band in the box “dinosaurs of the past”. You know; that archived box you only open, when melancholy smacks you in the face and you simply need to get verified that “everything was so much better back then”. Thus filed and (almost) forgotten, but suddenly this weekend Frank started sharing his excitement about the band’s recent concert in Toronto and once I glanced through the setlist, I got the most irritating nostalgic itch. Annoying to such an extent that I began wondering if my decision of “parting ways” with The Manics had been a tad premature! So as much as I hate admitting “I was wrong”, I have a strong feeling that time has come to re-open the files and have another go with the band! Attic! Here I fucking come!

Since I’m already in the “confessing I was wrong” mood, I might as well add that the new single by Kent is a whole lot better than I gave it credit for. I will continue my silent prayers for a return to Hagnesta Hill form and never stop rooting for them to trash their love for electronic pop, but Töntarna is still a pretty good song in its own right!

The assembly line has stopped running...no point in checking back later...

1 comment:

Guney said...

wellcome back to the club. i saw them live last night in ny city and they were amazing as expected.