July 30, 2007

Dilemma...

US synth pop duo Cause and Effect has been one of my favorite bands for the past 10 years (more and less) and the other day I sent them a message asking if it was OK to post a few of the band's songs in the blog. The first reason for asking was (the obvious) that I'd really like to introduce this brilliant but almost unknown band to a string of new people. The second reason was that I realized that it's no longer possible to buy any of the band's three albums (unless you want a 2nd hand copy). So by posting it wouldn't really be like I was violating any copy rights, but I still thought I should ask. So I did and I expected my chances of getting permission were pretty good, because posting a few songs wouldn't exactly be as if I was stealing the food from their mouths. The band quickly replied and this is the answer I received:

"If we had the option to sell the BMG/Zoo albums we would... Unfortunately, we don't own the rights or have permission to release those albums... Will they (BMG) ever re-release them? I wish I knew.. I've tried to contact them several times over the last few years and was told that our back catalog in the process of being re-released digitally through iTunes and other services, but we're still waiting.. Anyway, it's completely out of our hands..."

I guess you can say that the matter is undecided? So what do you think? Should I just post a few tracks, because it seems to me that those who own the rights to the albums don't really care?

It's possible to stream 4 tracks from the band's 1990 self-titled debut album (re-released as Another Minute in 1991/1992) here, but unfortunately the downloads aren't working.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it. You can always take them down if the company's lawyers huff'n'puff.
I'd like to hear this group you speak so highly of.

Anonymous said...

do it!

Anonymous said...

please!

faye

Anonymous said...

Yes Morten!
I didn´t know this band before.
And I like their songs.
Depeche mode´s influences ;-)

Anonymous said...

What, and deny them 2 more sales on top of the 300 they've sold to friends and family already?

Unknown said...

It has nothing to do with the number of copies sold, but rather that I want the blog to stay legal.
The dilemma is that I cannot get permission, but even if I wanted to buy a new copy of any of the 3 albums, it's not possible. So posting songs wouldn't be legal, but would anyone care?

Anonymous said...

just do it. Oh sh^$%$, I just used the Nike moto...